Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

A couple of years ago or so, I did a blog post where I used the first sentence of the first post of each month, and tie them together in a post. They always end up being kind of funny in spots. Here it is for 2011!

When I fell asleep on the couch with the TV on the night of Dec. 30, I had absolutely no plans for New Years Eve. I had to admit I burst out laughing tonight in my EFM class when this picture showed up for our Theological Reflection. Simon of Cyrene was merely a bystander in that rough crowd.

Whether it's something good, bad, or unknown in our lives--or even Holy Saturday--Tom Petty was right. "You take it on faith, you take it to the heart, the way-yay-ting is the hardest part." Simon Peter sat and pondered all these events. It all started this morning when I was brushing my teeth.

One of the problems with country living, much as I love it, is the lack of a true sewer system. Many of you know that one of the "holy habits" I have taken on in the past few years is regular reading of the Daily Office and intentional time for daily prayer. The recent events in the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania with Bishop Bennison's knowledge of abuse perpetrated by his brother, have brought up something that doesn't seem to be, in my mind, told enough. It is illustrated in the facts from the Baylor University survey above.

I was reading Canticle 12, "A Song of Creation" not long ago, and got to thinking about all the wonderful gifts of creation in my own backyard, out in the country.
I have to admit I have had a life-long voyeuristic love affair with the saints--Not just all the ones we recognize in the Episcopal Church, but all the Roman Catholic ones, too. Many of you all who have followed this blog for some time know I always do a project for Advent.

Have a happy and blessed new year!

0 comments:

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!