Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

From lightning and tempest; from earthquake, fire, and
flood; from plague, pestilence, and famine,
Good Lord, deliver us.

Finally, one I can chew!

I am thinking about how “big weather” awes me. So much so, that I tend to want to be “a little too close to it.” It makes me feel really really alive. I am so hooked on the power of tornadoes, big waves, storms...and definitely more than a little hooked on fire. My grandpa, back in the days when we still burned our trash in the barrel, used to joke that I was the only person he ever saw who liked to burn the trash one piece at a time, and liked to sit and watch every single thing burn!

I hate to admit it, but sometimes I crave a little too much lightning and tempest and fire. When I am feeling psychologically “blunted”, I crave it to the degree it’s destructive...like it will “wake me up and make me feel alive again.” It can manifest itself in me by “looking for molehills” or “barking at things that are not there.”

Sometimes I can’t leave things that are “not quite perfect but good enough” well enough alone. I have to get all obsessive-compulsive about them, and the end result for me spiritually is “plague, pestilence, and famine.” I will go form being irritated to being morose, with the little black cloud over my head.

I am not afraid of storms. But I need to learn not to think I need to stand in the middle of every one of them!

1 comments:

I am personally in favor of huge blizzards and raging thunderstorms - if I am at home and sheltered. It's the same part of me that is perversely eager for this Depression to really get going so I can roll up my sleeves and make due and be a survivor and helper of friends etc. It's like I need something to push up against to feel grounded. Too much peace and harmony starts to feel unbearably light (to partially borrow from the title of one of my favorite books). Hey, have you heard about The Urban Abbey? I'll send you the link to their blog.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!