Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

(Photo nicked from http://www.argophysics.com/dwyer//coffee/index.htm)

Uh...in plain English, "Blessed are You, Lord God of the Universe, creator of coffee."

This morning is a day why I am realizing why many of us regard coffee as "The 8th Sacrament."

One of the things I love about summer Saturday mornings is that I love to sit in the dewy early morning of my yard, with the chirping birds, and the wind and the sun and the clouds and the outdoor noises, and my morning coffee.

Have you ever noticed just how more powerful, how more...um...divine?...coffee smells outside, whether it is on a camping trip, or standing outside, or just any outdoor activity you want to name? Those beans just seem to emanate a smell that is literally miscible with the outdoors.

Then there is the taste of it outside. Why is it that coffee seems richer, fuller, more perfect, when consumed outside? But it does.

My walking buddy A. and I were talking about "blessings" the other day. A. is Jewish, and fairly observant at that, when it comes to his daily prayers. We were joking the other day about how there "is a 'Baruch' for everything." (The one we liked in particular was the blessing for people who look unusual...it's basically, "Blessed are You, Lord God of the Universe, who makes diversity."

Well, if the ancient Hebrews had known what coffee was, they would have blessed it.

As for me, I am truly addicted to the stuff. If I don't have some by 7:30 every morning, I will have a tremendous headache. My usual time for my first cup is 6:15 a.m. I make it when the dogs wake me up at six, and then take the dogs out. I return to my first cup. That first swallow, that first gulp, is a rush I cannot describe. I hate to admit it, but if someone put the choice in my head at 6:15 a.m. of "Orgasm? Or coffee?" I'd pick the coffee.

But coffee makes me realize the power of blessings in small packages, and in things ordinary. Thanks be to God for the day some prehistoric South Americans looked at a coffee tree and said, "Hey, let's dry those beans and grind them up and pour hot water over it and drink that stuff!"

4 comments:

Sorry I'm late to the party. This is a great post and I had to comment! I grind the beans and set up the pot the night before so that we who are bleary eyed can stumble down the stairs and simply flip the switch.

I have a baseball cap from a now defunct coffee house on South Padre Island that I've had for years. The chemical formula of coffee (purportedly) is proudly emblazoned across the front. I wear it almost as much as my Episcopal shield ball cap.

I'm having my first coffee here in Sydney, Australia. I'm a catholic, with a jewish ancestry. Thank-you for reminding me to pray today!

Glad to be of help, Heath!

September 5, 2009
"Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu melech ha-olam, borei p’ri...um...coffee"
How great is that! It is a cool morning here in Paradise, rainy, with birds flying in and out of my second floor balcony. I plan to sit with them this morning as I sip on my cafe' and pour over the scriptures. Recently I came across this great book: "Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus" by Ann Spangler and Lois Tverberg. What a joy to know Yeshua as our blessed redeemer! Linda K. Morales

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!