Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Well, we are now at the supplication:


O Lord, arise, help us;
And deliver us for thy Name's sake.

O God, we have heard with our ears, and our fathers have
declared unto us, the noble works that thou didst in their
days, and in the old time before them.

O Lord, arise, help us;
and deliver us for thy Name's sake.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy
Ghost; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen.

O Lord, arise, help us;
and deliver us for thy Name's sake.

Here’s another “simple is good” moment in The Great Litany. The repeated phrase is basically Psalm 44:26. Again, what strikes me about this litany is the collection of small, one line, powerful phrases.

“O Lord, arise, help us; and deliver us for thy Name’s sake,” are twelve words that can trump some of the most long winded, comprehensive prayers that I’ve heard or seen.

Rise up, Lord. Come out of the darkness and show yourself to me.
Help me, Lord. I’m not asking for specifics, I’m not putting an order in, I’m not punching the button of the Cosmic Coke Machine. Just help me as you see fit.
Deliver me, Lord. Take me to the place you will show me. Take me to the place you want me to go. I know I’d prefer a map, but I’m starting to understand you don’t tend to work with maps.
Do this for your sake, Lord. Not mine. Don’t work off of my agenda. Work off of yours. As much as I like to think I know what I’m doing, I have a feeling you know better.

That is a ton of power in twelve little words of one, two, and three syllables.

1 comments:

A lot of the power seems to come from the word "deliver". I'm the package, not the sender. Deliver us/me to the place we/I were/was meant to go.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!