Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

I had something very odd happen to me today.

I was coming out of Hy-Vee (the local grocery store) and while I was sitting at the stoplight at Illinois and Baltimore, I was looking down at the the seat at something in the grocery sack, and I thought I saw a “flutter” out of the corner of my eye.

When I looked back up in front of me, there was a little brown dove perched on my driver’s side rear view mirror. He cocked his head at me this way and that, and just looked at me for a full 10 seconds or so. Then he flew off, not startled or anything, just flew off.

I am thinking, “WHOA! I have no idea what THAT is about!!!!!”

Believe me, I am the last person in the world who thinks things are "signs." I regularly poke good natured fun at all the "apparitions" that make the news (most recently, the Methodist minister who claimed to have found a Cheeto shaped like a praying Jesus--I personally thought the Cheeto in the news story looked like a fetus with neurofibromatosis). But there was just something incredibly weird about that dove, the way he looked at me. His gaze was pretty intent, and I've never seen a dove perch on a parked vehicle with the motor running.

I'm thinking that dove would have eaten the Cheeto shaped like Jesus...

3 comments:

Believe me, I am the last person in the world who thinks things are "signs."

Kirk, it was a sign. A dove is a sign.

By the way, I read several books at the same time, too.

I like what you write your blog. It's the first time I've visited, but I will come back.

I have kinfolks who live in Kansas City.

Thanks for the kind words, Mimi! I am still not sure what to make of that darn dove; all I know is that doves don't make a habit of landing on cars stopped in the intersection.

I was telling my tale to the vicar the other day and he shared a story about an eagle who perched by him at an unexpected moment, when he was quite down. He took his event to mean that God keeps his eye on all of us, and made the suggestion that maybe it was just a reminder that we are not alone. I think the thing that weirded me out was that really, nothing of any consequence is going on in my life at the moment. But I like his suggestion.

...nothing of any consequence is going on in my life at the moment....

Treasure those moments. It's my experience that they don't last. Perhaps the dove will serve a purpose in a future troubled time.

Peace.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!