Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Well, over on MadPriest's blog, he gave his loyal readers a chance to "write your own creed," the emphasis being to write a creed that you can believe 100% without any questions or reservations. Personally, I have always struggled with the Apostle's Creed and the Nicene Creed, because they were written by committee, so to speak. Nothing ever comes out of a committee that is one size fits all, which puts us in a position of having to say things like "I believe in the creeds but I don't believe every single word to the creeds." It also forces us to venerate only three faces of an entity that may wll have more faces.

So, without further ado, here's mine!

I believe in God the Source of All Being, omnipresent and all-encompassing, the eternal "I AM."

I believe in Jesus Christ, in whom God the Source of All Being was manifested in a way designed to teach us to draw closer to God. He reconciled us to God by his death on the cross, and in his resurrection is our resurrection.

I believe in Shekinah, the female face of God that resides within holy objects, and that she, with Christ, resides within the bread and wine of the Eucharist.

I believe in God as YHWH, the personal name ascribed to God. Just as we know God's name, the names ascribed to us are known by God.

I believe in Ruach, the Holy Spirit, the Divine Wind, that blows through the lives of each of us and grants us pardon and solace.

I believe these are all faces of God that live in the faces of humankind to bind us together, both through each other, and through the holy catholic church. I acknowledge that there may be other faces of God that I may not yet know. I believe in their power to change the world and each of us, and that they give us a window to all that is holy, both in the kingdom of God and to ourselves. Amen.

7 comments:

Kirk, as you see, I stayed out of the fray at MP's on the moral atheist thread. No future for me there, but grief, but others, including you, wrote some very good stuff.

I have no problems with either of the creeds, but I do like your attention to the Shekinah and the Ruach, but, to me, those two manifestations of God can fit into the Trinity. Not really wanting to argue or anything, because I love what you wrote.

I gave a talk at my church once on the feminine in God. I wasn't asked to give a talk again. What about Lady Sophia? I would include her if I were rewriting a creed, which I'm not.

Sophia would definitely be worth adding, for sure.

I won't argue about the others being rolled into the Trinity; in fact one could say they are. The Holy Spirit makes a great "catch-all". It's always intrigued me, though, that there are 70some words attributed to "God" in Hebrew, yet their version of God is monotheistic and ours is triune. Go figure.

P.S. I don't blame you about the moral atheist thread. I've only stayed in simply because the proposition really doesn't matter to me, so I don't really have a dog in the hunt.

Kirk, I know folks with no faith at all who live moral and principled lives full of meaning. That's what I go by, what I see and experience. That's the only dog I'd have in the hunt.

Me too. One was the husband of one of my good friends at church. It created quite a dilemma when he died of cancer. He did not want a memorial service, but his wife needed closure. Our vicar solved the problem by speaking about David (the dead guy's) life on David's own atheistic humanistic terms at Morning Prayer. It was beautiful, and it certainly reconciled his wife to it all.

My Creed would include all the old and new, combined In Christ's Light!!

Grandmère Mimi, He Smiles upon you !!

David, and also upon you, love.

I'm late to this post, but just wanted to say how much I loved it...

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!