Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Padre Mickey posted a link to a recent NYT article that discusses the discovery of a stone tablet that may refer to a "dead three days and then a resurrection" story written decades before the birth of Jesus, but the object of the story is a fellow named Simon, who is mentioned in Josephus' history. It infers that "die/sit around dead three days/be resurrected" is more a creation of Jewish tradition than literal fact, if we are talking about Christ's resurrection.

Ok, this is coming from a person of deep Christian faith (me), who, on first glance, might seem a little rattled, but my response is, "Big Deal; so what." Yeah, maybe a little bit of a shocking response...but here's why.

Unlike the fundies, whose every tenet of their faith hinges on the unlikely chance that every "i" is dotted and every "t" is crossed in the Bible, and even the tiniest misprint risks throwing the whole concept out the window, it doesn't rattle my faith in the slightest.

After all, the Bible is a book of several books considered "holy" put together by multiple committees. It's a compromise, some got left in that maybe shouldn't have (cough, sputter, Revelationhackhack) and others got booted that maybe shouldn't. I have worked in academia long enough to know "all committees are compromised."

I have a feeling that stories about being resurrected after three days, may not be singular in antiquity to Jesus. Three is a very powerful number in the kabbalah. The number three--binah--is symbolic of "understanding"--it is linked to the womb and symbolizes growth and formation.

So we are back to my usual take, which is, "I am not interested in whether or not the stories in the Bible are literally true to the nth detail." But I do care about what they were meant to mean at the time they were crafted, and "What do they mean to me?"

There are plenty of other posts on this blog where I have struggled with the "literal-ness" of words like "resurrection" and "transfiguration." I have expressed my doubts about the "literal-ness" of these Gospel events. Yet I can still stand in church every Sunday and say the Nicene Creed and mean every word of it.

"How can that be?" some might say. Easy. Because I know something happened. I cannot explain that something, any more than my dogs can explain to me what two-day old mole scent smells like. That "something" changed the world. That "something" taught mortals to look beyond the law to please God and to connect to God through love; and that somebody who showed us that "something" was Jesus. He was connected to God in a way no one had been connected before, to gather enough attention to be seen. That in itself is divine. The factual details do not matter because the outcome speaks for itself.

It's like if you had your appendix taken out. It doesn't matter if the surgeon put six stitches in or eight, as long as you are healed of your appendicitis. If the surgeon remembers putting in eight, and in a fatigued moment dictated "six" in the operative record, who in their right mind is going to argue if there were six or eight if the operation was a success?

In the Anglican tradition, "I take the Bible seriously but not literally." These are the things I ask myself:

"How do these words connect me more closely to God, the author of the universe?"

"What, in my life, helps me believe the concept of a loving God and a place beyond death that is the seat of all that is good and right and true?"

"How can the words attributed to Jesus help me see this pure love of God that shone through his life, death, and whatever makes up his resurrection?"

"How do these words change my life to make 'the Kirkepiscatoid planet' better for the little circle of people my life touches, and the big circle beyond my little planet of people?"

All the newly discovered ancient tablets in the world cannot shake this quest. Period.

5 comments:

What a great, great post. You are very wise indeed.

And I shall never think of that book without the hackhackhack at the end of the word!

I love what you say about the Kabbalah and the significance of numbers.

In the Scripture study that I recently took, our pastor spoke about that a great deal.

It is easy for people of any denomination to get caught up in "E means 3 and that is that."

Rather than surrender into the wavy rhythm of just being with it all.

I mean- not unlike your stitches analogy, you and I could be sitting here looking at the trees in my yard.

I might be focused on the birch and its graceful reach, or how the oak is so mighty, but needs trimming, while you are glancing at the majesty of the big, big pine.

We look at the trees and one another and see the glory of God in the trees and one another.

What was that about the exact days again?

It is highly probable this stone tablet text is simply another sensationalist scam, as is clearly indicated by the facts

(1) that no specific information is available on its provenance and

(2) that no details are provided on carbon dating of the ink.

As such, this "news" falls right in line with the faked Lost-Tomb-of-Jesus "documentary" designed to make a profit off of people's fascination with the "real" Jesus, and with the larger scandal of the biased and misleading way the Dead Sea scrolls are being presented in museum exhibits around the world, with an antisemitic expression appearing on a government-run North Carolina museum's website. See, e.g.,

http://spinozaslens.com/libet/articles/dworkin_ethicsofexhibition.htm

and

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/frontpew/archives/2008/06/dead_sea_scroll.shtml.

Bravo. I think what you said about what does this mean to me and the people around me, what does that change, is key.

Sometimes I think that when these pieces come out, just like when the Gospel of Judas did, some folks in the media await breathlessly the response they expect, which is OMG, I can't believe anymore. And then it doesn't happen, and things go on as before, and everyone forgets.

I'm sure with you on the inclusion of a certain book!

Thanks again for such a probing and smart post.

Well, and museum ethics controversy, you are kind of proving my point. These things come out. They are met with sensationalism. Real. Fake. Real. Fake. Me? Don't care. Only time will tell. Doesn't interfere with me and my sense of my faith, in the meantime.

I am always intrigued that there is always this group dead set on proving their new finding, and another group dead set on disproving it, as if the whole of Christianity hangs in the balance. In my mind, it doesn't. It's not even important to my faith one way or the other.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest this should somehow have an adverse effect on anyone's faith.

What I do find disturbing, however, is that there appears to be an industry of essentially fraudulent claims being issued by so-called bible scholars (and eagerly marketed by the media, as well as "science" museums), designed to profit financially from people's natural fascination with Christian origins.

Soon there will be "documentaries" on this claimed "discovery" showing on Nova (actors walking around in robes, the somber tone of the narrator...) and being sold on-line. From my perspective, this is an abuse of scholarship.

See, e.g., http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/jesus-judas-and-dead-sea-scrolls-peddling-religious-sensationalism-america

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!