Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

One of the e-zines to which I subscribe had a Q&A section and in the section was the story of the problem a (non-Roman Catholic) chaplaincy director at a large hospital regarding communion wafers.

Historically, they kept a supply of wafers that had been consecrated by an RC priest for use for RC hospital patients, but they may have been distributed by non-RC chaplains (Ok, fine, my recollection from medical school is in certain circumstances, non-RC's can perform certain RC duties, like the Sacrament of the Sick.) However, in light of all the "wafer-mania" these days, the cardinal there decreed that only RC's could give RC-consecrated wafers to RC patients, and that the wafers had to be stored separately, so there would be no confusion in accidentally giving them to non-RC patients.

I got to thinking about my "deer meat chili."

When I lived in Columbia, I used to have to make the chili for the department potluck. I always made two pots; one with deer burger and one with hamburger. Columbia, being a little more cosmopolitan and more "bambiophilic" than Kirksville, had a populace a little less tolerant about deer chili, despite the fact deer roamed the neighborhoods in packs, flashing gang symbols and running into cars and through patio doors.

One year, the more I drank, the more I got p.o.'ed about the comments from the people who did not eat the deer chili. They could not just eat the hamburger chili, they had to make rude and snide comments about my even having BROUGHT the deer chili.

The next year, I brought my two pots of chili, and announced, "These are both hamburger chili."

I watched people eat the chili, enjoy it without making snide comments, and I just sat and smiled.

They were both made of deer burger.

...And that is what I'd do with those damn wafers....

3 comments:

Oh.

My people.

Especially in certain states, Missouri being one of them...

I hang my head in shame.

Deer chili indeed! What you don't know won't hurt you and just might taste good!

Fran, I have been known to "pass as Catholic" at out of town weddings, Christmas eve services in strange towns, etc., including in front of certain RC friends. I remember one of them looking at me, and going, "Well, I'm rotting in Purgatory now, thanks to you, b/c I didn't rat you out." But we decided that the concept of me going to hell for unauthorized wafer snacking would be about like being on the Group W bench in "Alice's Restaurant" for littering.

Can you imagine Jesus working the room and you and I are there... He is going around giving out bread and I get my piece because of course as RC I am the real deal. (cough cough choke!)

Then as he begins to move his hand towards your waiting mouth he pauses, almost imperceptibly and says... "Kirkespiscatoid, the name should have been the giveaway. There was never a St. Kirkepiscatoid! No bread for you!"

And then he moves on.

It is so ludicrous it makes me weep.

When is the next deer chili fest?

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!