Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Psalm 124

1If it had not been the Lord who was on our side—let Israel now say—

2if it had not been the Lord who was on our side, when our enemies attacked us,

3then they would have swallowed us up alive, when their anger was kindled against us;

4then the flood would have swept us away, the torrent would have gone over us;

5then over us would have gone the raging waters.

6Blessed be the Lord, who has not given us as prey to their teeth.

7We have escaped like a bird from the snare of the fowlers; the snare is broken, and we have escaped.

8Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

I have been working backwards through the Psalms as a spiritual exercise, starting with 150 and doing one every day till I get back to Psalm 1.

It is a story of the deliverance of the Jews, but it is a story of my deliverance, also. Maybe it is a story of your deliverance! I like it in its entirety, but I especially like v.7: “We have escaped like a bird from the snare of the fowler; the snare is broken, and we have escaped.”

Ok, I want you to imagine this bird, with a string still hanging from his leg and the noose around his ankle, with a broken end dangling.

I remember this moment in my life. The exact moment. I was 23 years old. Without going into a great deal of detail, I grew up in a sea of alcohol-fueled physical abuse. I was taught to think absolutely bizarre ways of "making children mind" was ok. There was a moment, when I was 23, that I no longer agreed to be an abused child, psychologically. My parents and I were supposed to go out for their anniversary. Dad was drunk. Very drunk. And behind the wheel. I refused to get in the car. At first, I tried cajoling and wheedling to talk him out. It just made him madder. Finally, I said, "No, I'm not going, then."

He then proceeded to launch into a tirade of what he was going to do to me if I didn't get in the car. I still remember my mom crying, begging me to get in the car, berating me for "causing trouble with your dad." I kept walking. He got out of the car and told me if I didn't get in, he would kill me--that he could chase me down and break my neck. I stopped and said, "Yes you can. But I still will not have gotten in the car." I kept walking, shaking, fearing he’d chase after me, but did it anyway. He did not follow. It was the moment I escaped the snare, the string still on my ankle. He never physically threatened me again from that moment on. My mom endured his abuse about five more years, but eventually they divorced. He remarried, I'm sure he still abuses his second wife, but he is a burned out shell of the threat he used to be, an old man who is much more mellow than in those days and far less explosive.

Then you know, years go by and, one day, I looked down, and the string was gone. It rotted off, or the noose loosened enough that I had stepped out of it and didn't even know it. The only thing left was it left a mark around my ankle. A scar.

Can you think back and remember “the moments of your deliverance?” The exact moments? Maybe they are not as dramatic as mine; maybe they are more dramatic, but I bet you can. In that moment, you can still feel the string on your ankle although it long rotted off.

I think about that in the Eucharistic Prayer when we say, “We celebrate the memorial of our redemption” b/c I can still remember those moments. I think about that when we say about Christ in the EP, “to live and die as one of us.” Wow, that means to feel our pain, our tragedy, and also our joy, our comedy.

The other problem with having had that snare on our legs, figuratively speaking, is that sometimes we feel the pain of that snare even when it no longer is real--sort of like how amputees feel "phantom limb pain."

Over the weekend, I had to go through a situation at our church where I did not speak up about something I should have spoken up about. I found myself incredibly angry at myself for not being able to articulate my dissent sooner. I was angry that this person who I considered an integral friend in my life was putting me in a situation where I had to fight that old feeling of "not speaking up to not make trouble." Even though I was in no danger of physical abuse anymore, I realized the old thread of physical abuse checkered my reality and made me cowardly to tell the truth.

But you know, that psalm is not just about our past. It’s about “deliverances yet to come.” Nothing earth-shattering perhaps, just the "cares of the world". They weigh us down. There are deliverances from some of these yet to come. They will feel wonderful. Things just don’t always feel great right this moment.

The bulk of this situation in my life has defused as of this morning, but I know there are some hard realities of it. I will have to deal with the tension it caused. I will have to reconcile some issues with this friend. I am not looking forward to it. But it will be ok. I'm sure of that. Maybe not ok like "everyone lives happily ever after" but it will level out somehow. I just don't like the work of doing it.

4 comments:

Wow, M. This is powerful. I really love your ability to connect events in your life with your reading of Scripture, to make it real.

And you are brave. It takes guts to stand up to a raving drunk, or a raving anyone. Even to walk away while someone is threatening to kill you is very, very courageous.

It is odd that the person who points out the truth is seen as the troublemaker...that is what is happening in the church I'm leaving. There are several "troublemakers" in that church but the old members are sticking their fingers in their collective ears and saying, "La, la, I can't hear you!"

My deliverance moment turned my whole life upside down---along with the lives of everyone who loved me.

Not easy stuff.

Relationships are hard, aren't they? So many assumptions and unwitting tests of loyalty...good on you for standing up for yourself and the rest.

But I'm sorry it was so painful. Because my friendships are so important to me, I take fundamental shifts in relationships very hard. My sympathies go out to you, Kirk. I'll pray that the Holy Spirit finds a way to heal the rift.

Pax,
Doxy

Yes, I can remember several specific moments of deliverance. I expect that I have many more to come.

I know what you mean about the pain of shifting relationships to. Sometimes I've been the one who's walked away, and sometimes I've been left. It's hard when one friend chooses something that doesn't include the other. Sometimes that loss grows necessarily out of the command to love Christ more than mother, father, sister, brother, friends, . . . but sometimes it's just a function of our own broken natures being pulled in separate ways.

I thought this was a very thought-provoking post.

"Unwitting tests of loyalty"...that is a powerful phrase, Doxy...and one that defines a lot of dysfunction in relationships.

Ruth and Lauralew, you both are defining the uneasiness of those "shifts" very well in two different ways.

Oh, and thanks for the "bravery" comment. The grumpy Teutonic in me tends to see my moments of cowardice more than my moments of bravery. I'm sure there are vestiges of this whole Wagnerian passion play in my head where deep down inside, I think it's the brave who get to go to heaven!

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!