Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!


Thought I'd share with you a fun picture I took last night. This is a little pine tree I planted the first year I moved here (2000) from one of the notorious "Missouri Conservation Dept. saplings." One of the great bargains in this state is you can get saplings (and I use the term loosely; more like "sticks") from the state nursery every spring, a bundle of 50 or 100 dirt cheap, for windbreaks or erosion control. Now mind you, out of 50, two might live. But in 1996, I bought some saplings when I lived in Columbia, and put them in pots, and by 2000, I had one that looked like a "real tree." I decided to move it with me to Kirksville, and planted it in the fall of 2000.

Eight years have gone by, and I noticed this year, "Hmmmm. It is REALLY looking like a real tree! Whaddya know?"

Last night was the first "tracking snow" of the year. Not good news, b/c in the local folk parlance, the date of the "first tracking snow" is the supposed number of times we will have tracking snow during the winter. Twenty-nine tracking snows does not sound like a great idea...but I never belived that one, so...ok, fine, whatever.

But I went out in the dark and saw my "little" tree, now about eight feet tall. The snow was a wet, "pellet-y" snow and I just stopped and admired the snow on it. It looked just like the "flocking" on the hypothetical "perfect store-bought artificial tree." I stayed out there admiring it long enough to have my eyes and nose start running. Then I decided to see how well it would do with the flash on my camera, and you can see the result!

Tonight, I went out and looked at it some more and thought, "What kind of idiot stands out and stares at a tree in the yard until their snot starts freezing on their face?" Well, I guess the same kind of idiot who "keeps awake" like in our Gospel lesson this week in church (Mark 13:24-37).

I will confess that Advent, the "season of waiting" is not an easy season for me. I am not good at waiting, especially when I am not sure what I am waiting for. But somehow, I was able to wait a grand total of twelve years for the moment in which I saw "The perfect little holiday tree." I did not see that moment, staring at that bundle of so-called "saplings" in 1996. Couldn't even IMAGINE that moment. But there it was.

I had no "visions" of that tree. I had no expectations for that tree. It was more like, "Well, it will probably die, but let's just see what happens with these stupid sticks." I had nothing to go on, and I was rewarded in a way I could not imagine.

Wow, how Advent is that? Joseph, and a pregnant Mary, traveling, well...I imagine people by the side of the road saw something just as unimpressive as what I saw, looking at that bundle of sticks...and look what happened there!

There are times my spiritual journey feels like a crawl. I sometimes think, "I have no idea where this is going," and get impatient. Yet, I waited on a tree for twelve years with no expectations whatsoever. It made me realize that maybe some of the things that happen as I grow deeper in my faith could take twelve years (or longer) before I "see" it. If I can wait on a tree, I can wait on ME.

3 comments:

I love this so much--it resonated very deeply. Thanks for sharing it!

Cheers,
Doxy

Oh, yes. Beautiful analogy. Thank you!

I like the photo a lot, and I love the lesson you drew from this.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!