Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Today’s discussion revolves around Plato’s saying , “The unexamined life is not worth living.” She discusses how the ability to question things in our life is a form of fidelity.

Reflection questions:

1. What areas in your life need to be questioned and examined?

Hmmm...this is a hard question because I think I do a fairly good job generally of continually questioning and examining my life. But probably the main ones would be how feelings of “rejection and abandonment” can create delusions of what is happening around me that are not quite accurate. These delusions tend to make me overreact, and often are the trigger to my occasional moments of “volcanic anger.” This is a paradoxical emotion for me, because for the most part, I am fairly solitary, independent, and don’t need people around me all the time.

2. In what ways do you presently go about examining your life? What do you need to open yourself further to self-examination and growth? Do you have a truth teller, someone to help you examine your life? If not, could you find one?

Mostly, I examine my life by “sitting with it.” I try to objectively think about the issue and be real about what parts of me could be dragging it to a pathologic place. I pray about it. I bounce my thoughts off of trusted friends. But even your “trusted friends” are never 100% truth tellers for one simple reason...because they are your friends, they will never tell you something quite “point blank” because they simply don’t want to hurt you! They might come close. They might blurt it out in a moment of frustration and feel sorry about it afterwards. But truth telling is dangerous in a pure form to some degree; friends don’t want to totally risk their friendship. This might be why friends need to understand their covenants with each other, so they CAN get a little closer to being completely truthful.

Mostly, to open myself further, I need TIME. Don’t we all?

3. Meditate on the idea that questioning your life is a “dangerous process.” Do you agree? Why or why not?

It IS a “dangerous process” for several reasons. First of all, as I sort of brought up in the previous question, as the old adage goes, “The truth hurts sometimes.” Opening one’s self up to hurt is never fun. It sets you up to be sidetracked in your regrets, if you are not careful, and if you don’t let someone in there with you a little bit when your heart is open and raw. As a friend and I were talking about yesterday, “A little bit of self-pity is good, because it teaches you to let go. A lot, not so good.” We agreed part of the role of a trusted friend in this process was to “keep it real”.

The other “danger” is you, as a result of your self examination, may realize what you “knew to be as true” is no longer valid, and that you might have to rearrange your way of thinking about things. You may have to (gulp)...change. Now, I don’t mean “change” as in becoming a shiny, happy, cookie cutter Christian. You will still be “you”. But something changes...maybe very subtly at first, only recognizable through the “retrospectoscope”. But that involves the pain of letting go of “old truths”--things that were 110% valid at one part of your life, but not so much now. This process is painful, exposing, and can make you feel that “your past wasn’t quite right.” But it is part of the self-examination that has to happen if one ultimately “lives a life with no regrets.”

1 comments:

Thanks for this. I know when I started to have time to reflect on things and also to read the Fathers and Mothers as well as others, my views on many things REALLY changed. Yes, I was still me, but the old assumptions I'd had no longer worked.

I think that is the danger of examining your life. True examination will bring change of some type, if one is honest. And if you or those around use cannot deal with the change in you, there is a price to be paid. Changes in a person will bring changes to relationships, and sometimes those will end. I know I lost some friends when I changed; I met a woman whose husband left her when she changed. But one lives with oneself and has to answer to oneself as well as to God.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!