Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

By The Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson, Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire

Opening Inaugural Event
Lincoln Memorial, Washington, DC
January 18, 2009

Welcome to Washington! The fun is about to begin, but first, please join me in pausing for a moment, to ask God’s blessing upon our nation and our next president.

O God of our many understandings, we pray that you will…

Bless us with tears – for a world in which over a billion people exist on less than a dollar a day, where young women from many lands are beaten and raped for wanting an education, and thousands die daily from malnutrition, malaria, and AIDS.

Bless us with anger – at discrimination, at home and abroad, against refugees and immigrants, women, people of color, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Bless us with discomfort – at the easy, simplistic “answers” we’ve preferred to hear from our politicians, instead of the truth, about ourselves and the world, which we need to face if we are going to rise to the challenges of the future.

Bless us with patience – and the knowledge that none of what ails us will be “fixed” anytime soon, and the understanding that our new president is a human being, not a messiah.

Bless us with humility – open to understanding that our own needs must always be balanced with those of the world.

Bless us with freedom from mere tolerance – replacing it with a genuine respect and warm embrace of our differences, and an understanding that in our diversity, we are stronger.

Bless us with compassion and generosity – remembering that every religion’s God judges us by the way we care for the most vulnerable in the human community, whether across town or across the world.

And God, we give you thanks for your child Barack, as he assumes the office of President of the United States.

Give him wisdom beyond his years, and inspire him with Lincoln’s reconciling leadership style, President Kennedy’s ability to enlist our best efforts, and Dr. King’s dream of a nation for ALL the people.

Give him a quiet heart, for our Ship of State needs a steady, calm captain in these times.

Give him stirring words, for we will need to be inspired and motivated to make the personal and common sacrifices necessary to facing the challenges ahead.

Make him color-blind, reminding him of his own words that under his leadership, there will be neither red nor blue states, but the United States.

Help him remember his own oppression as a minority, drawing on that experience of discrimination, that he might seek to change the lives of those who are still its victims.

Give him the strength to find family time and privacy, and help him remember that even though he is president, a father only gets one shot at his daughters’ childhoods.

And please, God, keep him safe. We know we ask too much of our presidents, and we’re asking FAR too much of this one. We know the risk he and his wife are taking for all of us, and we implore you, O good and great God, to keep him safe. Hold him in the palm of your hand – that he might do the work we have called him to do, that he might find joy in this impossible calling, and that in the end, he might lead us as a nation to a place of integrity, prosperity and peace.

AMEN.

9 comments:

Thank you for posting this. I have not seen it anywhere else.

I have viewed several interviews of Bishop Robinson - e.g. with John Stewart, with Rachel Maddow, etc - interviews in which he seemed to be a pleasant, sweet man, one perhaps "deep in humanity", but not obviously "deep in faith". Perhaps this impression was the result of the interviewers regarding him solely, being interested in him solely, as "the gay bishop".

But now having read his prayer of invocation, I know the reason why he is a bishop. His prayer expresses so well the many hopes and longings and fears of this time that it deserves to be preserved, and remembered, and reprayed - the blessings need to be requested over and over.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Thank you also for giving me permission to continue reading your blog. It is a treasure - it encourages me to consider things I do not usually think about.

It goes without saying that I miss the "lake walkers", the "Shadow" crowd. Miss Dr. "M".

Anyway, I thought about pasting one of my favorite Wyeth paintings here - just to remove any doubt about my identity if such doubt exists - but the comment window will not permit it - will not permit even a "live link" - so I can only offer a line of gobblygook, one that can be copied and pasted in the address bar:

http://www.pafa.org/Museum/The-Collection/View-All-Works/Large-image/91/artistId__2787/gclid__CP7UkcXaoJgCFRBbagodAzaamA/colId__6995/

Ash, I have it all figured out now. Now we will have something to talk about when you zoom by at the lake! As soon as it warms up, your favorite short pudgy psychiatrist and I will be out walking the lake road again.

I talk to Shadow's mom once a week. She is doing well.

Which reminds me, have you become one of the Facebook crowd yet?

Good Grief.

I do not know whether to rejoice or cry.

The knowledge that you looked at a painting entitled "Young America" and immediately thought of me has made me as vain as a peacock.

On the other hand, your comment about talking to me out at the lake fills me with dread. I dread the image of me tagging along behind you and A., trying to keep up with your fast gait and with your even faster conversation. I would be at a severe disadvantage. I am uncomfortable talking about "deep" things. And you two are smarter and much more articulate than I am, I having only enough brainpower to know that I would be interrupting a dialogue between old friends, that my presence was turning the current of the conversation into swallower and probably stagnant waters. I would be miserable. And I would have lost something I value highly - our schoolyard banter. You are one of the few people I know with a deep sense of humor - who can laugh at anything -and are the only, the absolutely only person who teases me. I grew up in a close family where we showed our affection by gentle, and sometimes not so gentle, teasing. And it is how males interact with their friends. So I regarded your mockery of me, as perverse as this may seem, as a sign of friendship. Shouting "Hello, pretty woman" at you, and hearing your mocking response was often the highlight of my ride, of my day. I enjoyed it - and appreciated it even more when I learned that you were religious and read the Bible and hence were willingly risking your life in providing me that pleasure (the Biblical story of Elisha and the two she-bears so clearly demonstrating the mortal danger of mocking an old man as he goes about his business on the public highways). And yet you did it. Thank you.

Thank you again for allowing me to continue reading your blog. I will regard this permission as conditional - based on my good behavior and subject to withdrawal without reason or notice.

Thank you also for the news of the shadowy group. Had I not occasionally seen Father W., I would have been assuming that all of you were "raptured" and had left me to face the time of tribulations alone.

Don't worry, Kirkcyclandrous, I have plenty more mocking comments where the others came from. No danger there.

I like the story of Elisha and the she-bears so much I have a shirt that says, "Be nice to your elders, or be eaten by bears."

As far as the rapture goes, I need a bumper sticker that says, "In case of the rapture, I'm takin' all your stuff!"

I was certain that the Elisha story would be high in your esteem; however, what I would never have guessed is that you are the "Sex and the City" type, never in a million years, and yet, here you are, once again, bragging about your wardrobe.

Course, now that I see you as "womanly", I feel freer to contradict you (it being a truism that "women need instruction"). And so, will risk suggesting that you are wrong - that the moral of the story is not "Respect your Elders". I do not think the chronological age of the mockers is significant. Believe the final result would have been the same even if they had been contemporaries of Elisha - had been, let us say, a group of middle-aged folks out walking their dogs. The bears would have still come. Elisha was just that kind of guy. Believe the moral is really: "Fear those who think they are holy. Flee from them. They have no love, no compassion. They think nothing of humans beings." This lesson is more general, is something I can use, and unfortunately has been confirmed by the sorry history of manking.

You may be on to something there!

Sorry. I know you are searching for understanding, not humor. Sometimes I get too pleased with myself, try too hard to be clever. Sorry.

I am trying to understand you. I think you have been blessed with great spiritual sensitivity. You might have the introspection of a monk, and the desire for a contemplative life, but your gift, your talent, is as a mystic. In a rational, materialistic culture, that may be a curse. But I believe the essence of your religion, its strength, is an intense desire for a direct, personal, emotional relationship with God, to feel yourself in his presence, surrounded by his love, to lose yourself in him. Think it likely that you have had that experience and that it overwhelmed you - that it was and still is more real to you, truer, than anything else in your experience, truer than the physical world. I am out on a limb here, I do not really know you, but I have the strong impression that underneath the surface, you are constantly searching for God, your senses constantly alert for signs of his presence and that you are finding him. You tell me this in your blog, that you find traces of him, feel his presence, in the liturgy, in your relationships with your friends, in "odd things" that happen to you, in nature, in the animals that suddenly appear as if they were angels, were messengers sent by god, and, of course, you understand the message they bring. You are a mystic. Now, one cannot just announce "I am a mystic. I feel the presence of God" - just cannot do it today - folks would think you were crazy - and it never was safe - in the past, most were burnt. But that is how I see you, as a reluctant mystic.

Sorry again - sorry for wasting your time. I gather these blog comments are supposed to be short and concise, limited to a presidential "You are doing a hell of job, Kirkie!". Well, you are.

You are definitely not wasting my time! Reluctant mystic might fit...I am usually a "reluctant" anything. You'll just have to start joining in on the comment threads on different posts, b/c this one is getting whiskers, ha ha.

The reason for my writing comments only on ancient postings is the foolish hope that my comments will be overlooked, not discovered, or read by anyone - not even by you. It helps overcome the inhibitions of writing. However,I have recently been told by someone more computer savvy than me that this is a vain hope.

By the way, there is an easy solution to the problem of friends who eventually make "fashion suggestions". Think outside the box. Limited your dating to nudists. This might mean no more concerts and movies, and limited the dinner dates to a quick stop at a take-out window, but you would know he was being honest with you, that he had nothing to hide, and that he saw you, and liked you, just as you are.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!