Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Ok, several of my blogfriends are playing this meme. Basically, it is "Take the first sentence from the first post of each month on your blog for 2008 and put them all together and see what they say."

Some of these have been pretty darn funny...so here's mine. If I started with a a Bible quote, I'm going to cheat and skip down to the first thing I said. It probably isn't fair to make all the characters in the Bible play!

Here goes!

I had to spend a little time telling you about my Jewish friend M.J.'s Bar Mitzvah. Well, now that I know what my Lenten game plan is (see my earlier post, "Lent's coming; look busy") it sounds odd but I am kind of looking forward to starting it. God is basically telling Israel that it is time to pack up and leave Babylon. This week's Gospel, for the 3rd Sunday of Easter, was "The Road to Emmaus" and the big thing I was thinking today in the middle of Wallace's sermon was, “Hmmmm....we all have our own ‘Road to Emmaus.’ Multiple times.”

I posted a story back in January about my friend M.J., who became Bar Mitzvah at age 77, and learning the Hebrew portion of his Torah, despite his dementia. I just discovered this week that my wireless internet router reaches out in the yard a little way from the house, so now I can combine two of my favorite activities...goofing around on the internet, and sitting in "my sacred circle" in the yard. Last Sunday's Gospel (Matthew 10:40-42) had Jesus explaining the true meaning of the word "welcome.".,.Over on Wounded Bird, Mimi posts the following:

Well, gang, I have embarked on a 40 day Ecunet cyber faith group experience called "Journey with Joan Chittister." Many of you have followed the almost year and a half saga of my cousin J. and his wife (also J.--we'll call her JM!) in their attempt to get custody of J.'s two children from a previous relationship. I am told by all my relatives that for a NE Missouri native, I have, um...unusual food tastes. Hola, mi novia Señorita Chompita Wiggletail!


Well, that was humorous enough, that I decided to take this one step further and also do "the first sentence from the LAST post of each month...and here's what I got....

Wallace's sermon today focused on Jesus' question, "What are you looking for?" It appears to me that God is speaking to Israel, reminding them that even in their downtrodden state they come from a godly heritage. MadPriest asked a very interesting and tough question on his blog today. Well, over on MadPriest's blog, he gave his loyal readers a chance to "write your own creed," the emphasis being to write a creed that you can believe 100% without any questions or reservations.

Sigh. Lately, my planet has been full of things that require choices and decisions and the choices/decisions on either side have not been great. Ok, I basically consider Tarot cards hokum but it is still kind of a fun quiz, just like when you go to the French Quarter you have to get your fortune read "just 'cuz". Letting people take up their own crosses is not really all that easy when you care about them.

Today’s readings focus on the value of silence. Finally! Something I can relax and lean back and chat about! Thought I'd share with you a fun picture I took last night. Some days, a person needs a "reminder of the value of mindfulness."

(I think this one came out even funnier!)

0 comments:

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!