Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Tip of the had to MadPriest...

It all started when the American Humanist Association paid for advertising on 230 buses in Washington DC to say, "Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness' sake."

Well, then that's when all the phone calls and nasty e-mails and "advertising competitors" showed up. A bunch of folks claiming to "stick up for God" showed up on the talk show circuit, the Internet, and the TV, some of them not really, in my opinion, "Being good." So THAT's a little confusing. The humanists want to be good without needing God to lean on them. Some "Christians" become snippy and nasty in the name of "defending God."

Here's a radical notion. I suggest that anyone who wants to go out there and "be good for goodness' sake" to have at it! I encourage it. There is not enough good in the world, and people out there wanting to do good are a blessing to this world.

Frankly, I don't want to ascribe to the notion, "Be good or God will kick your ass." That's simply not a very good reason for doing good. People who are being good for that reason make no sense to me. As a theist, I would much rather believe that, when I do good, it is because "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," and I realize the good I do has an intrinsic value beyond my religious views--that most of it IS "goodness for goodness' sake."

In fact, maybe the opposite happens if you are a person who is seeking and questioning the existence of God. You go out and do some goodness for goodness' sake. You realize it is NOT easy. You realize it is, in some ways, a part of human nature that runs counter to a fair bit of human nature, like the need to care for oneself, the need to protect oneself. Doing good makes you vulnerable.

In the center of that vulnerability might come the notion, "Hey, the nature of this good seems a little beyond "just me" and my skill set. Maybe there is something deeper to this good." Now, maybe you'll ascribe this eventually to what you see as your representation of God. Maybe you'll see Jesus in it--real Jesus, not three-syllable "Jay-EEZ-UZ". Maybe you see Buddha in it. For all I know, maybe you think it's the result of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But the minute a person connects to that notion that the whole of "good" is beyond one person's abilities, you have, in effect, joined the ranks of theists.

Then again, maybe you never get there. But you are out doing good in a hurting world, and in that act, you are part of my covenant with my God, and that's ok by me!

So, to borrow a common thing angels say this time of year in the Advent stories, I say "Fear not!" to these ads!

2 comments:

Oh this is a great post.

Our pastor includes these words in so many sermons.... "Did you grow up hearing that "God's gonna get you for that? Well it is just not true."

He goes on to say that God is not some cruel and capricious arbiter but rather our most loving and benevolent God.

Just be good for goodness sake is excellent advice for one and all.

Thank YOU!

Spot on, thanks!
When we are being good, God is working through us,
whether we acknowledge that
or name it differently
or not.

blessings

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!