Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!


Well, this morning I awoke to a sunrise that had the impressive quality of coloring the sky at all four compass points! This is as "Currier and Ives" as it gets at my house!

Almost every "liturgical color" was in it somehow (except for green)...gold, red, rose, blue, purple, black...and the white of the snow. As I was standing out there looking at it, one of my flashbacks from the Lutheran hymnal popped into my head. (True confession--as much as I enjoy being a 'Piskie, I do confess that my favorite "classic hymns" are Lutheran.) But the first verse of this one flew into my brain as I was enjoying the "4 way" color...

The King shall come when morning dawns
and light triumphant breaks;
when beauty gilds the eastern hills
and life to joy awakes.

Not, as of old, a little child,
to bear and fight and die,
but crowned with glory like the sun
that lights the morning sky.

The King shall come when morning dawns
and earth's dark night is past;
O haste the rising of that morn,
the day that e'er shall last;

And let the endless bliss begin,
by weary saints foretold,
when right shall triumph over wrong,
and truth shall be extolled.

The King shall come when morning dawns
and light and beauty brings:
Hail, Christ the Lord! Thy people pray,
come quickly, King of kings.

Then something else came to mind. Maybe part of what connects me to sunrises/sunsets ARE the "liturgical colors". Maybe part of what connects me to "liturgical colors" is that they are also the colors of my heart...seasons of somber purple and dark blue, seasons of verdant green, reds and yellows, flashing moments of pure gold and white, and just the teeniest tiniest bits of rose. (Anyone who knows me well knows "There ain't much rose there," but a tiny hint of it will sneak out now and then!)

So, my wish for my blogfriends on this Christmas day is "Enjoy the colors of my pasture; enjoy the colors of my heart."

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

What a lovely way to express it -- "the colors of my heart."

I had not heard this hymn before (no Lutheran in my background), but found the melody through Google. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I hope you had a lovely Christmas Day.

¡Qué Linda!
Feliz Navidad, Kirk, and Chompita sends season's greetings to lil' eddie.

And, of course, Mickey, little Eddie sends his love. He and Boomie got some very wonderful rawhide goodies from Santa.

Merry Christmas, Kirke and little Eddie!

Beautiful photos...

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!