Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

OOOOOO k. I meant to start posting these on the 17th. But I'm behind, ok? I decided this year, to pay more attention to the O Antiphons during Advent. I have been familiar with them for a long time, but some chanted/sung versions of them seem a little "dirge-y" to me.

For the un-initiated, The “O Antiphons” refer to the seven antiphons that are recited (or chanted) during the special period of Advent preparation frin December 17-23. The exact origin of the “O Antiphons” is not known, but we know they have been referenced from other texts as far back as 500 a.d. They outline the different roles for Christ as prophecied in the book of Isaiah.

So I got to thinking...what would happen if I wanted to make these a little less "Early Church" and bring them to the baby boomer crowd? So I am re-working each of the O Antiphons to 50's, 60's and 70's music. Here's the first one. I've put the "real" O Antiphon first, followed by my new um...creation. Anyway, this was the one for Dec. 17:

O Sapientia: “O Wisdom, O holy Word of God, you govern all creation with your strong yet tender care. Come and show your people the way to salvation.” Isaiah had prophesied, “The spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him: a spirit of wisdom and of understanding, a spirit of counsel and of strength, a spirit of knowledge and fear of the Lord, and his delight shall be the fear of the Lord.” (Isaiah 11:2-3), and “Wonderful is His counsel and great is His wisdom.” (28:29).

O Sapientia to the tune of “Only You” (with apologies to the Platters)

Oh, oh Wisdom
O holy word of God
You-oo go-o-vern
All of creation
Only you, and you alone
With your strong and tender care
Can show your peo-ple to God’s great sal-va-tion

Oh, oh, Isaiah
Isaiah prophesied
That the spirit of God will rest on you
Of wisdom, understanding
Of counsel and of strength
Of knowledge and fear, fear of the Lord

Oh, oh, Adonai
Our fear is your delight
For it’s true that God is our true light
When you hold my hand I understand
Your power and your might
You’re my Lord my God, my sacred Adonai.

1 comments:

These are all brilliant and I am so grateful to read them.

And to know you.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!