Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

This morning, I am realizing how events get lives of their own. When the year is not a multiple of 5 or 10 of the anniversary of a devastating event, how do we proceed? This year is the "7 year itch" year of 9/11/2001. I am trying to think in my mind how to move past all that while at the same time not ignoring respect for those who lost their lives.

I noticed on my Facebook page today a lot of my Facebook friends are displaying patriotic messages, urging people to wear red/white/blue, etc. That ain't me. I'm as much a patriot as anyone but I'm not a flag-waver. Waving the flag too much tends to cause one to wave it annoyingly in someone's face. I love this country, but like the Bible, I don't think it's infallible. I have all the respect in the world for my cousin JB who spent a tour in Iraq. I prayed for his safety every day he was there at the same time I honored his sacrifice. But I didn't make a big show of it.

I don't like the notion that 9/11 become a day to run around and "hoo-ah" about how great being American is. Not at all. If anything, we need to become more humble on 9/11. We need to remember that disasters--whether natural or perpetrated by humans--happen at a moment's notice and all our pride and swaggering won't stop them. We need to remember that blustering and swaggering only engenders more trouble than it prevents. I am uncomfortable with our role as "the world's pit bull." I don't think that is a cause for celebration.

On the other hand, I have nothing but respect for all those people who put themselves in harm's way for us. I love my cousin who served in the Army, and am incredibly grateful for his service, but I don't think we should glorify soldiers over police officers, firefighters, or even the folks who climb the utility poles in rotten weather. I can think of even more roles that are equally protective--chaplains who put themselves in "the front", relatives who stand between abusing relatives and abused children, wow...the list is endless. I don't think the soldier deserves a higher spot on the food chain. There is a balance we need to respect in what the "helping professions" do for us and no one deserves a place of honor over the other.

I plan to just sit with this a little today. I think for me, sitting still and reflecting sounds better than wrapping myself in red, white, and blue hoo-ah, and I think it honors the fallen just as well on this day.

2 comments:

I'm not a flag waver or fan of jingoism either, and I really, really agree with you about honoring all the helping / serving professions.

I think this is a great post. You can see my facebook page... no such admonitions from me, I am many things but jingoistic is not among them.

You also read what I wrote today so you do know how I feel.

Peace, peace and peace - that passes all understanding.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!