Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

When the weather is good, I like to do my morning devotionals in my reclining lawn chair in the yard, in my "sacred space." Today was one of those cool, foggy "Fall is comin'" days in NE Missouri. There is something great about being just a little under-dressed for the weather but drinking hot coffee to counteract it in the early morning in my yard...(And ever since Leonardo told me he likes the way I think in this mode, I think of him now and then even though we have never met!)

Ok, so this morning, as I look out at the fog in the yard as the light breaks and I hear two owls hooting (living in the country is SOOOOOO cool sometimes) and I am reading my Psalm for the day. I have been working on a project and chatting with Wallace about it now and then...start with Psalm 150 and work my way backwards to the beginning. Do a little bit of Lectio Divina in that I simply read it, see what "jumps out", and reflect upon it, end with a collect from the BCP. I am slogging my way through Psalm 119, and breaking it up one section at a time because it's so friggin long. I'm on the "Heth" section today and v. 64 jumped out all over the place: “The earth, O Lord, is full of your love; instruct me in your statutes.”

I was out there a little before 6 a.m., looking out at the fog towards the east as the morning light started gearing up, and hearing those owls. Just sat, and drank my coffee and let my mind sit still. This is going to sound weird, but I normally feel the “gears in my head running"; sometimes, though there are special moments in the middle of my contemplation where the gears just sort of stand still. Those "gears standing still" moments are fleeting, but highly addictive.

Then, two words popped in my head that I hadn’t thought of for a long time: Immanence and transcendence.

These words used to be “just words” to me. Big “religious words” that I just rolled my eyes and went “Yeah, yeah, ok.”

Then I got hit with the big “DUH!” moment. Reading my psalm, in the dawning light, in the fog, hearing the owls, getting the “oh, wow this is cool” moment and connecting the moment with “The earth, O Lord, is full of your love”....this is the meaning of “immanence.” The presence of God is present with me, omnipresent, and present in his creation all at once.

Suddenly lots of things made sense...why my sacred spot in the yard is sacred...why I felt tremendously at peace working in the garden at church with my co-vestry member C. yesterday (at lunch, he and I were talking about this peaceful co-experience we seem to get working in the yard together)...it was so damn intense. (Of course afterwards, I had to have my moment of straightening up, looking around to be sure it was just me and the dogs out there, and thought, “What the hell just happened????”)

But oh, wow, THAT’s what immanence is...and that’s how it is hooked to transcendence. For about 60 seconds I was transcended to a place where it was literally “joyfully painful” to sit there, and it was so much that way I could only sit there for no more than a minute before I had to “back out of it” and “catch myself” and bluster a little to myself in my “What the hell happened?” way.

The short answer is, "I don't know what the hell happened but I sure as hell like it!"

3 comments:

That was amazing- first of all I love reading about you out there in the early morning as the day begins. It is a lovely image and very prayerful for me to imagine.

Of course I have no idea what it really looks like but I do have a vivid imagination!

I love the way your insights strike you and how you share them. I always get such a zest of the spirit feeling from reading these posts.

Thank you!

This is brilliant and illuminating. I saw this post yesterday but I'm trying very hard to keep a blog sabbath, so I marked it unread so I could reread it today.

I especially like the way you link immanence and transcendence.

This comment has been removed by the author.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!